It’s that time of the year again when you get out those summer dresses and wedges from your closet. But while you’re busy trying to sort out your wardrobe, do not forget about your skin. Summertime in India not only means unexpected heat waves but also excess tanning and possible UV damage. Yes, that Goa tan could be damaging your skin cells if not cared for properly.
So, what exactly happens to your skin when it tans? Well, while some people love that vacay glow, it’s vital to protect the outer layer of the skin.
Tanning occurs when the sun’s UVA rays reach the lower layers of the skin, triggering the melanocyte cells to produce more melanin. Melanin is the brown pigment that causes colour changes in the skin. Don’t fret though, it’s your body’s way of protecting the skin from sunburns.
Protecting your skin against the sun’s harmful UV rays is essential with sunscreen but what happens when you forget to slather it on before leaving the house or don’t remember to put on a second coating while at the beach? This leads to tanned or even burned skin. So, is there a way to get rid of it? The answer is yes and no, you don’t need an expensive product. You won’t even need to leave the house! All you need to do is walk into your kitchen for some effective DIY remedies. Keep on reading to find out what they are.
Recipe #1 Gram flour + Lemon
This DIY is more than just an old-wives tale. Gram flour has properties that absorb impurities from the skin while also eliminating dead skin cells. Lemon, on the other hand, contains citric acid which reduces melanin (a pigment that’s responsible for skin colour) which is responsible for that tanned look.
- Take a bowl; add 3 tablespoons of gram flour, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to it.
- Adding a pinch of turmeric to gram flour face pack can remove tanning and lightens the skin tone.
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply it on the affected areas and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure twice a week for effective results.
Recipe #2 Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is one of the most used ingredients especially in Ayurveda as it has endless healing properties. It helps add a radiant glow to your complexion and protect your skin against the damage caused by the harmful UV rays. The gooey gel in the leaves is filled with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that soothe and calm your skin.
- You can apply Aloe vera gel before going to bed. You can buy Aloe Vera gel or extract the gel from freshly cut aloe vera leaf.
- Apply a thick layer of the gel on your skin at night and wash it off in the morning.
- Repeat this every day for great results.
Recipe #3 Rose Water With Orange Peel
Orange peel powder is rich in vitamin C which can fade hyperpigmentation and even out skin tone.
- Mix 1 teaspoon orange peel powder with rose water or any other hydrosol. Use this as an exfoliator 2-3 times a week regularly.
Recipe #4 Cucumber And Milk
Cucumber helps in skin rejuvenation and acts as a cooling agent. Since it is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, it also removes Sun tan and soothe the skin. Whereas milk provides a moisturizing effect and acts as a sunscreen. It not only lightens the complexion but also prevents your skin against sunburn and damage.
- Blend cucumber and extract its juice.
- Mix it with raw milk.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with normal water.
- Repeat it twice a day for instant results.
Go ahead and try these DIYs to reduce your sun tan!